[TenTec] Orion Aesthetics..Another point of View

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Aesthetics..Another point of View
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:58:43 -0500
> > The K2 is mostly an indicator of how careless designers are, rather
> > than how good or special the K2 actually is. It doesn't use any
> > special care, or even special technology, and it equals or beats
> > almost anything else we can buy.
>

> Why???  Serendipity??? I've never owned an Elecraft nor am I planning
> on getting one (so no ax to grind), just read various favorable
> reviews. You've piqued my curiosity as to how being careless can
> produce a great radio. Please elaborate.

That didn't come out so clear.

What I intended to say was the K2 is not a sophisticated design at
all. It uses 1980's or earlier technology in the mixer and garden
variety single-ended 2N5109 RF and post-mixer amplifiers, yet it
still is better at close-spaced performance than virtually all other
radios!

My point is......

We have become so used to lack-luster performance, we think
someone that actually just does OK and doesn't use any special
technology is somehow being "exceptional".
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com