[TenTec] Orion feedback...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion feedback...
From: hmauro@pacbell.net (Henry Mauro)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:08:47 -0800
I am somewhat disappointed in what I have seen of the Orion so far...
but not because of any particular lack of features.  Tentec has always
offered a somewhat different feature set than the competition. I bought
the Omni VI when most of the competion was offering auto-tuners,
6 meters, built-in power supplies etc for the same money. I chose the
Omni VI+ because of the receiver performance, because the features that
were offered were well executed (micro-chirp excepted) and of course,
because of the excellent service.

In bringing out the Pegasus and Jupiter Tentec added a new dimension
to their product line; competitive pricing.  Now those unique features
were available at prices comparable with other similar rigs. I was
hoping this approach would be evident in the new Orion.

The Orion seems to step back and present that same uncomfortable choice
that the Omnni VI+ presented. An intriguing combination of features
and performance but at premium price that made one miss the extras
available at no extra cost on the competition's radios.

I hope that if Tentec makes some changes to the Orion before it is
released, it starts by taking a hard look at that price tag.

Henry, W6GZ