[TenTec] Carl, Pmni, 756 etc

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Carl, Pmni, 756 etc
From: Carl Moreschi" <n4py@earthlink.net (Carl Moreschi)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:47:58 -0000
George,

Yes, the DSP dynamic range of the RX340 is 40 DB.  The listing
I saw recently on this reflector for a lot of different radios, indictated
that the PRO had a close in dynamic rane of 60 DB.  The rx340
DSP processor is 16 bit processor.  Each bit is worth 3 db, not
6 db.  So that would yield 3*24 or 72 db for the PRO and 3*16
or 48 DB for the rx340.  Both are a little less for other reasons.
The rx340's main strength comes from the outstanding AGC
circuit ahead of the DSP chip.  It's amazing, but I really think
most of our s meters are miscalibrated and the strongest signals
tend to be more like s9+20 and not s9+40 as our meters tend
to read.  Anyway, I find it extremely rare when the 40 db range
is not enough for the close in stuff.  Even in the recent 160 CW
contests, I could not find any problem signals when listening to
Europeans on 160 in the presense of strong USA signals.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, North Carolina
n4py@earthlink.net