[TenTec] Sidetone revisited

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Sidetone revisited
From: ronald.hands@sympatico.ca (Ronald Hands)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 19:11:05 -0400
Steve Ellington wrote:

> Ever since our discussion about sidetones, I've been wondering
something
> about them.

  When I bought my Corsair II, used of course, a few years ago, I was
disconcerted by the rough sound of the sidetone -- particularly after
hearing so much about Ten Tec's smooth QSK.
  But then I had a chance to add a MFJ 784b DSP unit.  It does a
wonderful job of taking all the fuzz off the sidetone and just leaving a
nice, clean sine wave.
   I gather from reading the reflectors that some DSPs inject some delay
but I haven't noticed any with the MFJ.  Maybe my synapses are not what
they once were, but to me it seems there's no delay between the time I
hit the key and the time I hear the sidetone.
  Even the simple Radio Shack DSP will, I believe, do the same job of
cleaning up the sidetone signal without digging into the radio.
  For what it's worth, YMMV, caveat emptor, etc.

-- Ron  VE3SP