[TenTec] Sidetone revisited

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Sidetone revisited
From: n4lq@iglou.com (n4lq@iglou.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:00:20 -0400
Excellent. This may be one of the factors that gave the Triton IV through
the Corsair a reputation for fast QSK. Every millisecond counts! Now I
will need to re-modify my Omni C for the original sidetone and add the
filtering. Also, I will check to see where the sidetone triggering
originates. I believe it's the T voltage which is a product of some
timing components from the key line. If so, there may be another
opportunity to reduce delay. Trying to run a paddle at 40wpm isn't easy
and eliminating that sidetone delay will certainly help.

Of course, the type of keyer will have a huge bearing on this delay. I
use an old MFJ with the Curtis 8044 chip. I'm not sure what the delay is
between key closure and output nor have I ever heard this discussed but
it needs to be investigated.

Some guys use the sidetone in their keyers which is fine if you are using
a speaker but I like using my headphones at times. And of course, there
is a delay between the speaker and the ear :*)