[TenTec] Bezel/tuning knob question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Bezel/tuning knob question
From: geraldj@isunet.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:53:43 -0500
Gary, your Corsair VFOs are mucked up. The bezel is held on by a spring
sliding in a groove on the outer PTO shaft (which is the one that has
the thread to drive the slug through the pistol). The knob is on the
interior shaft that drives the outer shaft through a friction vernier.
It there are paint spots on my bezel, its likely some previous owner
couldn't solve reinstalling the bezel and its spring (covered in the
manual -- requires a bit of floss or lacing tape to pull the spring out
of the groove to start the bezel into place.

You may have to dissolve the paint spots, pull the bezels off (gently
pry with a thin flat pair of screwdrivers or other thin prybars), then
find the lost springs and put them on correctly.

I just went to my Corsair II which has a rebuilt PTO (by me) and I set
the readout to 3700. And while I held the knob, I had little difficult
turning the bezel to zero, even though my knob is a hand made aluminum
knob that is nearly as large as the bezel. I depend on the digital
display and don't care what the bezel reads so I'd never bothered with
that before. I probably won't again.

73, Jerry, K0CQ

--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson. Reproduction by
permission only.