[TenTec] Lost Sensitivity?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Lost Sensitivity?
From: n8coo@juno.com (Charles Mark Cring)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 03:00:24 +0100
My 2 cents...

Sometimes when the receiver antenna switch gets corroded, the receiver
will slowly lose sensitivity (maybe after 20 minutes to a few hours),
and in my case when I changed bands or mode it would suddenly come back
to life.   Then the symptoms would slowly reappear at some later time.
The effect was just like the propagation on the band you were listening
to was dying out.    I think it was more noticeable on the higher freqs
as most of the signals on the lower bands were loud anyhow.

This happened on my Paragon just after  I had purchased it used from Ten
Tec and I didn't know what was going on.   I called Ten Tec and spoke to
Don Prouty and amongst other things he told me to check the switch.   I
waited until the rig did it again and when I reached behind the receiver
and barely touched the switch the S meter jumped and the receiver picked
back up again!   A shot of cleaner and some exercising back and forth
cured it and no problems for the past 1 1/2 years.

This may not be John's problem but figured my variation might be worth
mentioning.

Oh, someone mentioned a calibrator - Ten Tec makes a  T-kit that they
call a transmatch tuning bridge which puts out pulsating  RF noise
modulated with audio...I've used it for a cheap and dirty broadbanded
noise source, it gets weaker at higher frequencies but is a handy thing
to have around and may give you a relative idea of how the receiver is
working.  ***just a little plug for their T-KIts hi hi***

73 de Mark N8COO