[TenTec] eham centurion 0 review - the "Orion" Factor.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] eham centurion 0 review - the "Orion" Factor.
From: wb8yqj@yahoo.com (Don Rasmussen)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:04:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Guys,

After finding and reading the "centurion 0" eHam
review, it seems that the fellow was simply unhappy
that he ordered a brand new amplifier from the factory
and received an item that was "not ready for prime
time".

A similar thing happened here two years ago with my
factory new OMNI 6+. It required a board swap because
the BFO crystals were not within spec in my new unit.
The trimmer could not shift the BFO crystal properly
upon microprocessor mode change request. The crystals
on the new board were marked in RED with magic marker
(tested good?). I suppose it would have been too much
for TT, knowing of this problem, to have opened their
existing new stock and fixed every unit that had not
been sold to date, but I don't think so.

So this guy is unhappy that he ordered a new unit and
had an immediate service problem with a 4 week wait. I
would have waited and would not have vented on eHam.

I can say however that if I ordered an Orion at that
$3300 price and had a similar scenario it would be
just plain unacceptable. At this price I expect a new
unit to be sent until the time that one comes in that
fires up great and works for at least a week.

They need to ship this new transceiver with a higher
standard for return rate than their past history
suggests. Completely ridiculous? You decide!

73,
Don Rasmussen
Carlsbad, Ca.