[TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] USB -> RS232

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] USB -> RS232
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:28:29 -0400
Keith,

Unfortunately, while it seems like the USB->serial converters would be an
ideal solution they aren't all they are cracked up to be. Some software
doesn't work with some converters, even when that software works fine with a
'real' serial port. Some converters seem to work better than others. I
currently have a converter that didn't work with the N4PY or the TenTec
software to control my Pegasus. Also, with multiple converters and a hub, I
haven't been able to control which com port gets assigned to which
converter. It appears that the port assignment stays fixed, but I suspect
that if I disconnect or reconnect USB devices, those port assignments could
get scrambled. That's not a major problem, but may require reconfiguring
your connections or your software.

Mark