[TenTec] Argonaut V postsn -- keep them coming here

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut V postsn -- keep them coming here
From: ku4qd@earthlink.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 11:40:39 -0400
Hi, everyone,

I would like to thank all the guinea pigs... errr.... I mean early
purchasers... of the Argonaut V for posting their operating impressions,
comments, and comparisons to other Ten Tec rigs here.  I, for one, will
not be joining any more reflectors.  (I'll stay out of the OT Yahoo
debate, thankyouverymuch.)  I've found the posts informative and they
will certainly help me make my own decision about whether or not I want
to trade in my Scout on an Argonaut V at some point in the future.

I have, unfortunately, become a bit jaded about new equipment.  A good
example is a rig I was very eagerly awaiting:  the 6N2 (526).  I think
weak signal (SSB/CW) ops all expected something special from a Ten Tec
IF DSP dedicated VHF transceiver.  It turned out, after looking at lab
test numbers and reading all the mixed reviews and comparisons, that the
rig is rather mediocre.  Not bad, mind you, and probably adequate for a
lot of casual users, but certainly not what we had hoped.  So... I still
run Japanese equipment on those bands.  I may eventually pick up a used
one if I find it at a very good price and feel I can afford it and then
I'll make my own judgement, but I am not in any rush to buy a 6N2.

Needless to say I'm going to wait until there is a good body of
experience, lab data, and reviews before deciding on an Argonaut V.
Honest information about the good things and the flaws in the rig will
really help me.   In the meanwhile I'll enjoy the Scout and the Argosy
that a reflector member sold me last week at a very nice price.  I still
love the old Argosy, and still think it has the best filtering options
ever offered on a low end rig.

Thanks and 73,
Caity
KU4QD