[TenTec] Pegasus Help!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus Help!
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 13:36:01 -0800 (PST)
In-line below:

--- Ernest Mills <emills@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a few problems with this unit. Hope someone
> can make sense out of it. :)
> First off: Flash Firmware = 1.19.01/15/2002
> GUI = 1.71b1
> Box = Pegasus #550
> Tuner = internal JDG P11
>
> 1)    I use this rig for digital only so not sure
> what the CW config is.  What is the "Enable Keying
> Loop" on the 'transmitter' window?

This is primarily for use with full break in QSK
amplifiers for proper RX/TX timing. Having the "Enable
Keying Loop" ON implies that the TX EN / TX OUT
connections are in use. So the behavior you see is
correct for a barefoot rig and "Enable Keying Loop"
ON.

 I recently had a
> problem that showed no o/p when the "tune" button
> was pressed. The "Enable Keying Loop" was checked.
> (not sure how it got that way. Maybe default on new
> copy of software?

Don't recall what the default for TT 1.71 control
software is/was. I've always upgraded existing
installs so wouldn't have noticed it even if it was
different by default. The value of this setting is
stored in the pegasus.ini, so once it is set correctly
it should persist.

> 2)    I notice sometimes that although the FORward
> position on the power/swr meter seems to work ok
> (any way of damping that down a bit) during Tx, the
> SWR and REVerse displays Freeze. (no movement at
> all).  What is happening then?

Not sure I fully understand what you are describing,
however you mention using digital modes. Could it be a
simple mater of the Computer being heavily loaded CPU
use wise?? This cold cause sluggish display update
behavior of the control program. There may also be a
built "hang" vlaue for those settings. I must admit
though that I don't use the TT control software all
that often so don't remember if I saw that kind of
behavior or not.

> 3)    OK! main problem right now (hope it is finger
> trouble) is that on 20m in autotune, I don't get
> that familiar relay prattle, nothing at all. It
> doesn't tune the radio.

Is the antenna SWR actually OK and doesn't need any
tunning??

> 4)    A possible related problem to 3) above might
> be that in Rx I hear relay noise now and again for
> what seems like no reason. Any ideas?

Does this happen when scanning or using the sweep
function? If so it may just be a matter of the
frequency crossing a boundary of where the TX low pass
filters switch, for example you will hear a relay
switch as you cross 4.005 MHz. There similar points
accross the rest of the spectrum where you see the
same thing happen for each of the low pass filters.

> Hope someone can help me, thanks Ernie WM2U

I hope this sheds some light on what you are seeing.

73,
Duane
N9DG