[TenTec] A/B testing of radios

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] A/B testing of radios
From: ku4qd@earthlink.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:36:50 -0500
On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:54:17 -0500 (EST)
"Scott Rosenfeld [N7JI]" <ham@w3eax.umd.edu> wrote:

> I used to spend hours upon hours doing A/B testing.
>
> Conclusion?
>
> Unless you have a signal generator producing a stable signal of known
> frequency and amplitude, fuggetaboutit.

I totally disagree.  If I have two radios, A and B, and an antenna
switch so that they are sharing a common antenna, there is a lot I can
tell by doing some simple A/B testing.  For example, if I can hear weak
signal X well enough to work him on radio A but not on radio B, that
tells me a lot.  If I get on a crowded band and can get signal Y
separated from the crowd on radio A but not on radio B, that tells me a
lot.

Of course, these are anything but scientific or quantitative
measurements, but they do tell me which receiver is likely to produce
better results.

BTW, due to a very busy schedule over the coming several weeks I'll be
unsubscribing from the list temporarily.  Don't take it personally.
This is a great list.

73,
Caity
KU4QD