[TenTec] Amp questions...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Amp questions...
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 01:29:57 -0800
Concerning why the Centaur was discontinued, several people emailed me to
tell me that the reason was that Svetlana had discontinued their 811A tube
and there was no equivalent that was as well-made on the market, so Ten-Tec
discontinued the amp rather than offer it with substandard tubes.

Svetlana still makes the 572B which is a drop-in replacement for the 811A.
They are about 50% more expensive (about $150 for a set versus $100 for the
811As).  Why didn't Ten-Tec offer the Centaur either without tubes or with
the 572Bs?

Just curious.  I've powered the amp up for a couple of minutes but not
hooked it up to anything yet.  Now I have several weekends worth of shack
improvement projects that it has caused.  Thanks for the many replies to my

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net