[TenTec] Public Opinion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Public Opinion
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen, Esq.)
Date: Tue Feb 4 13:41:27 2003
> Anyone have feelings or thoughts on this?
>
> Bob I sure do.
> First I'm not a techie but business type with two degrees and a CPA
> certificate.
> I am astonished that TT would announce a product so far in advance of
> production and testing. I keep wondering how they survive financially.

Rebuttal:

First, I hold a J.D. law degree, a fully accredited MBA, and a
double-baccalaureate in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
Big deal and so what?  In my opinion, it's Ten-Tec's prerogative to
pre-announce the release of anything they want...on any terms
they want; they are the masters of their own business plan.

Ten-Tec survives simply because they are obviously providing products and
service that meet the demands of their customers.
Notwithstanding a plethora of "nit-pick" issues on this reflector, I believe
it's fair to say that most folks who have tried
Ten-Tec....like Ten-Tec.  Ten-Tec offers many unique features in their products
and a return plan that cannot be found elsewhere.
Even those on this group who endlessly complain about micro-chirps,
black-colored face panels, silver trim rings, 100-watt power
blocks, and internal antenna tuners somehow manage to stay with this reflector.
 I'm assuming its because despite the fact that
their products are not designed exactly and specifically to their needs, they
nevertheless remain Ten-Tec users.  I don't think
there is any other group out there who is as passionate about their equipment
as the Ten-Tec user.  (BTW - A close friend of mine
owns a Harley-Davidson motorcycle and guess what?  Their most dedicated owners
are also their biggest critics...sound familiar?). My
take on this is that the equipment generally comes very close to their personal
demands, but its that 5% of the total package that
we cannot seem to live with and generates the nonsensical feedback.

The alternative is for Ten-Tec to keep absolutely everything a closely-guarded
secret....just like Yaesu, Kenwood, and ICOM; they
are the masters of disguise and manipulation.   Instead of pre-release
announcements on forthcoming products, let's just wait until
we see the ads on the inner cover of QST....just like the other three.  Which
would you prefer?

As to pre-payments, were all big boys and girls once we begin seriously
considering the Orion class of equipment.  Seriously, if
you're having this much anxiety over an order placement (an order that is not
executed until delivery), then you need to step back
and re-assess where you are in all of this.

-Paul, W9AC