[TenTec] Omni-V QSK and key clicks

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni-V QSK and key clicks
From: gw7lhi@hotmail.com (MW0CDO)
Date: Sun Feb 9 11:30:18 2003
G3JAG wrote:
> Oooops. Looks like I omitted a paragraph from my previous posting.
>
> The audio gain control in my Omni-V goes from zero to deafening in
> about one
> quarter to one third of its track. Almost like it was the wrong value
> much too high.  And it has been like that ever since new ....so I
> assumed it
> was normal.
> Two questions :
> 1. is this typical audio gain control behaviour on an Omni-V ??
> 2. or do I have a possible explanation for my original question about
> the loud
> QSK key clicks I get in the phones/speaker ??
>
> Extract from original posting.......................
----------------
> I get objectionable key clicks in my external speaker, or in the
> headphones (a
> Telex headset) especially when I opt for full QSK. There seems to be
> almost
> zero muting of the speaker/phones until after the rig keys up.  I
> accepted
> this as being normal, until I found that the K2 has no such
> characteristic
> and now it is driving me nuts  ... I seem to vaguely remember someone
> mentioning this years ago and giving a fix. Can anyone point me to
> the info ?
> Or do I need better earplugs ?
> Thanks  John G3JAG

John,

I have an OMNI V, and it has the same "features"!

The volume control does have all of it's "action" take place between 7 and
10 o'clock.
To fix this, I added a resistor across the input of the audio IC, I'm sorry,
but cannot remember the value!
I think it was 4.7K  ohm.

You may be able to fix the key clicks as follows:
Remove the sidetone board mounting screws from the back of the radio, and
suspend the board in mid air.
Test for key clicks now.

If physically isolating the board stops the problem, cut the board tracks
that connect to the mounting lugs, don't forget to ensure that you connect
everything to ground that should be connected on the board.. one of the
tracks is conmnected to the middle of the track that connects to the
mounting lugs.
Screw the board back into place and away you go.

If you don't want to cut the tracks, you need to devise a way of insulating
the mounting lugs fom the chassis.. plastic washers and screws?

If the above doesn't help the clicks, try connecting a substantial cable as
short in length as possible between the ground post of the radio and the PSU
ground. Try the case of the PSU and the ground side of the output to see any
difference.

Hope this helps..

Paul MW0CDO.