[TenTec] New ham looking at Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New ham looking at Pegasus
From: jody@lcl.ca (Jody Levine)
Date: Thu Mar 6 06:38:43 2003
From: "Ben K8DIT" <benk8dit@serv.net>
> Jody,  People can share their views with you about the Pegasus. Would you
> give us some input on what kind of operating you want to try?

OK, fair enough, breadth and depth of replies to this group has been
remarkable. If the radio is anything like the users....

I many be new to ham radio, but I'm a power engineer working in a
high-voltage laboratory that used to be the Research Division of Ontario
Hydro -- once the largest electrical utility in North America. I have more
than a passing interest in RF, and I've been meaning to get a ham license
for donkeys' years, just so I could play with antennas. I have a curious
interest in CW operation. I'm unlikely to get into contesting. I want to
fiddle with stuff, to unforget my communications courses from back in
school, to make up for the fact that my job has way too much paperwork and
not nearly enough time in the lab. One of the things about the Pegasus and
its computer control that appeals to me is its ability to be fiddled with.

Hey, is it possible to get into the Pegasus' DSP routines?

My local radio club, which has been enormously helpful with getting my
license (I was tapping out my Morse Code examn text in the examiner's dining
room two weeks before Christmas) isn't keen on the Pegasus. Whenever I
mention it on the local repeater I'm greeted with an awkward silence,
followed by assorted comments on why I should stick with Yaecomwood. They
seem to be a pretty good bunch of guys with genuine interest in the
advancement of amateur radio, so I hesitate to write them off completely as
being afraid of what's unfamiliar -- but maybe it is just that.

Regarding used, while I thing that buying good used gear is a great idea,
since I have no idea what it's *supposed* to do when I get it home, how am I
going to know if it's in good working order? At this point in the game a
manufacturer's or dealer's warranty and support is important. If I found
something with someone local who was willing to let me and even help me try
it out, that would be fine, but I really don't want to take the chance of
buying a radio at a hamfest or over the net at this time.

There was another point made about buying low end. I don't really want to do
that either, as I'm not terribly interested in being a radio dealer. I'd
like to get something that I'm going to enjoy for, say, five years, before I
get the itch to try something else.

What surprises me a great deal about this group is how generous you've been
with the comparisons. One expects a certain trend toward advocacy from a
bunch of people who own the same thing, and while there's certainly enough
of that, most of you have come back with comments about how there's no one
right solution and all sort of rigs could do the trick. I expected more zeal
and more flag-waving. The almost philosophical openness is a delightful
surprise, or maybe the Peg isn't so great after all :-) :-).

Anyway, I'm going to get around to some individual replies, but I offer now
a great collective thank you to your considered responses. I'm waffling a
bit, but I just might take the plunge.

73

Jody
ve3ion