[TenTec] New ham looking at Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] New ham looking at Pegasus
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Thu Mar 6 11:01:54 2003
> Hey, is it possible to get into the Pegasus' DSP routines?

Unfortunately, no. I've been bugging TenTec since the Pegasus first came out
to release information on writing custom DSP code, but they won't release
it.  Since the DSP firmware is flashable, if one know how the DSP chip was
integragted with the rest of the hardware, one could write their own code
and flash it to the radio. But without info from TT, that would require a
lot of reverse engineering.

> My local radio club, which has been enormously helpful with getting my
> license (I was tapping out my Morse Code examn text in the examiner's
dining
> room two weeks before Christmas) isn't keen on the Pegasus. Whenever I
> mention it on the local repeater I'm greeted with an awkward silence,
> followed by assorted comments on why I should stick with Yaecomwood. They
> seem to be a pretty good bunch of guys with genuine interest in the
> advancement of amateur radio, so I hesitate to write them off completely
as
> being afraid of what's unfamiliar -- but maybe it is just that.

TenTec doesn't spend the kind of money the Japanese do to build a
reputation. Until recently, with the Orion, TT has not followed the trend of
making radios that look, well 'sexy'. The Omni VI is a fantastic performer
and has easy to use controls, but it doesn't look as nice as the Japanese
radios. Of course, the Pegasus doesn't look like a radio at all <g>.

Lastly, in Canada, TenTec is just another import.

> Regarding used, while I thing that buying good used gear is a great idea,
> since I have no idea what it's *supposed* to do when I get it home, how am
> going to know if it's in good working order? At this point in the game a
> manufacturer's or dealer's warranty and support is important. If I found
> something with someone local who was willing to let me and even help me
try
> it out, that would be fine, but I really don't want to take the chance of
> buying a radio at a hamfest or over the net at this time.

I don't know how good a manufacturer's warranty is. Many people have had
problems with new radios right out of the box. In my own case, I know from
experience that Yaesu's repair turnaround can be over a month. Even with a
brand new radio, the dealer wouldn't take it back and handle the repair, but
made me send the radio to Yaesu.

Used, but not abused, radios are generally a good buy. Do you have a local
dealer with repair facilities? They should provide at least a 30 day
warranty on used gear, which they should have checked out before reselling.
I think that would be a pretty safe bet. Getting to know your local dealer
will be very helpful as you start out in ham radio. It would probably be
worth it to drive a few miles if there wasn't one locally. I used to see ads
from a dealer in Toronto.

With your background, would you consider building a kit? If so, you may want
to check out the K2 line from Elecraft www.elecraft.com

73,
Mark