[TenTec] Radio Shack 25 amp switching supply?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Radio Shack 25 amp switching supply?
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen, Esq.)
Date: Sun Mar 9 11:18:33 2003
> Mine is going back to the store today.  If I lived in a place where the
> noise level was always S5 to S8 it would be fine, but it is not the case
> at this QTH.  I hear the noise on 20 meters, now, since the band is
> mostly quiet this morning.  Give me back my linear supply.

I generally stay far away from switching power supplies: My main shack
supply is centered around an Astron RS-35 linear supply and power is
distributed to many devices via a RigRunner DC distribution panel (which
btw, is a fantastic product).

However, about a year ago, I was looking for a lightweight supply that could
handle my Triton IV at full 100W output power for portable operation.   I
sheepishly purchased the Astron SS-25 after reading a QST product review of
a similar Astron SS supply.
As I recall, there was essentially no measured noise from the Astron SS.

The SS-25 is very light in weight, takes up a relatively small footprint and
doesn't even blush when pushed to 25 amps over extended periods of time.
There's a small thermostatically-engaged whisper fan on the rear panel that
produces nearly no audible noise.  I absolutely love the Astron SS amp.
However, I still would not consider it for the main station where I leave
the RS-35 linear supply on 24/7.  I simply never want to have to consider
whether or not a spur that I'm hearing is being generated by the supply.
It's difficult enough in trying to localize shack noise problems without
having to examine the supply and rule that out as a potential noise source.
But for intermittent and portable operation, I couldn't be more pleased with
the Astron SS.

Also, Ten Tec makes some nice switching supplies and I would bet that theirs
is at least as clean as the Astron.  I know in my previous dealings with Ten
Tec, that they have been very sensitive to the user's power supply and
potential noise generation.

-Paul, W9AC