[TenTec] Field Day GOTA Station

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Field Day GOTA Station
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Fri Mar 14 18:13:13 2003
Hi, We have used Ten Tec Scout for Field Days, as well as lower level model
Kenwoods, TS 120, 130 and 140.  The more complex rigs with computer whiz
bangs are too hard to learn to someone who is not active in ham radio
currently.   The older rigs with analog functions are best.   If you are
doing mainly phone, see about an old Atlas, or the above rigs I have listed.

Incidentally, we use the simple rigs with killer wire antennas. Inverted
Extended Double Zepps and large 1.5 wave low horizontal loops, (1.5 wave or
more at 80m, and thus very good multi wavelength gain antennas at higher
bands.)  On higher bands, they have both a low angle of take off and a high
angle, easily covering near in stations and states as well as distant coasts
and even DX.
GL and 73,
Stuart K5KVH (W5KA no. 4 in class last year)