[TenTec] Corsair II going deaf!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II going deaf!
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue Mar 18 14:33:18 2003
Hi,

Am using my "old"  Corsair II while I wait patiently for
am Orion on order.

Have been noticing that the rcv signals grow weak
after a bit of time.  A couple of quick "pops" on the
PTT button,  and bingo,  back up comes the rcv'd
signal.  There is no linear in use,  nor any connection
to a linear and its' T/R relay through which both rcv
and xmit signals would pass.

In looking through my old Corsair manual,  it seems all
the T/R switching done using several diodes, thus the
smooth and fast QSK.  However,  I do hear a relay
clicking which the PTT button is pressed -- I assume
this is the relay which would actuate a linear were I
using one.  But,  certainly the rcv signal does not
pass through that relay.

So what is going on?  Or is there a relay someplace in there
through which the rcv signal is passing which whose contact
can be,  at least briefly,  cleared by a couple of actuations
of the PTT switch,  or CW key?

Seems odd that a diode in the T/R switching arrays would
fault in such a way that the symptom I have would occur,
but who knows?

73,  Jim  KH7M