[TenTec] OMNI D hand capacitance effects on tuning

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI D hand capacitance effects on tuning
From: w8au@sssnet.com (w8au@sssnet.com)
Date: Thu May 8 17:03:11 2003
At 09:58 AM 05/08/2003, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, wrote:
>Ground the PTO shaft. In my Corsair II, there's a wire spring, maybe one
>or two turns in a flat coil and an end maybe an inch long that wipes on
>the PTO shaft. I'm sure Tentec put that there intentionally. You could
>make one with some .2 mm piano wire in seconds. You need to remove the
>front panel to install it. Likely someone did a PTO rebuild and left it
>off, and the screw hole is present for mounting it again.

Actually, TT did not ground the shafts in the Triton and Omni A/D/C series
because of the "potential" problems arising from gradual poor connection
over time between the wiper spring and the shaft.  This causes jittery and
unstable tuning, until corrected.

They felt that the slight inconvenience of having to hold the tuning knob
lightly at the outer rim (minimum capacitive effect) would offset any future
tuning/wiper problems.

I have had the "wiper" problem occasionally on my Corsair and Scout....
and, of course, it IS a minor inconvenience to clean and regrease the
shaft.

So you can have it either way.....

FWIW,

Perry        w8au