[TenTec] strange QRM/QRN/RFI source?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] strange QRM/QRN/RFI source?
From: reed_ww3a@alltel.net (Reed O. Krenn)
Date: Thu May 15 14:05:27 2003
Very Interesting! During the 80's I worked at Sangamo Weston in the Advanced
Technologies
Group where we were exploring PLC with Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSS).
Our
research was for remote metering and distribution control. We found the power
line to be a
pretty hostile environment for data communications of that sort and, as you
indicated, high
power levels were required to get any type of useful range.

One interesting thing we found was that distribution transformers have a
mechanical resonance
in the 6 KHz range, and this produced an audible (and annoying!) singing in the
transformers.
Worse, in the area where we were testing, office workers could hear the signals
in their
computers, copiers, and fax machines.

The most embarrassing situation occurred when the DSSS signal set off a
building alarm in a
warehouse district late one night. The alarm monitoring company had the ability
to dial in and
listen for sounds of activity in the facility, and all they heard was this
eerie collection of audio
tones from our test equipment. As you might guess, the next morning we were
invited to
remove our test equipment from the premises. The owner was none too happy about
being
called out after hours to meet with the police.

Anyway, after 10 years, many $$$, and an unpredictable market, Sangamo
abandoned the
project. Fortunately, I bailed out about a year before the axe fell.

And now.......BACK TO MY ORION!

Reed / WW3A