[TenTec] Advanced test - was: CW on 60M

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Advanced test - was: CW on 60M
From: aaron.hsu@unistudios.com (Hsu, Aaron)
Date: Thu May 15 15:28:09 2003
Be thankful you missed the Advanced test - it was the toughest of the 5 class
"era".  Mostly electronics theory with a spattering of radio operation and
rules.  The day I took the test, I left my calculator at home and had to borrow
a "basic" calc.  Luckily, it's a multiple choice exam and usually only one or
two answers look "logical".  I barely skirted by!

The Extra exam was a breeze compared to Advanced, but that 20wpm code was a
bear!  Again, I just barely skirted by, but was I glad I did!  The code
practice I put in during the 5 years between my Advanced and Extra ticket
finally had some value - I passed the code test just 2 days before the FCC
dropped the 20wpm requirement for Extra.  Yes, I didn't have to do it, but I
had justify all that time I spent working on it, hi.

Don't worry about the question pool.  The FCC often eliminates questions from
the pool if they find it questionable, vague, or out-of-date.  They just
instruct the VEC's to remove that question from the tests until the next rev of
the pool (every 3 years?).

73,

  - Aaron Hsu, NN6O (ex-KD6DAE)
    {nn6o}@arrl.net