[TenTec] Some Observations on Orion Stability/Calibration

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Some Observations on Orion Stability/Calibration
From: nq5t@attbi.com (Grant Youngman)
Date: Mon Jun 2 15:26:26 2003
> HF propagation is enough of a variable that getting to 1 Ppm precision
> can take averaging measurements from WWV over several days. Part of
> the few Hz you see can easily be coming from propagation changes.
> You'll do better if you build up a TRF receiver for 60 KHz

Yes, that's all true.  I wasn't interested in NIST traceability  -- just
getting WWV to zero at something other than 9999.970 Hz, which
is where it started out.  And that started because I noticed that a net
I frequent dialed in 20 Hz low or so.  And I've accomplished what I
set out to do ....

Was there really a reason to play with it in the first place?  No.  But
phase issues or not,  the drift pattern on startup is very consistent
and the radio settles where I expect it to, give or take a few hz here
or there.

And I feel better now and am probably better looking as a result :-)

Grant/NQ5T