[TenTec] Orion rf gain and inherent noise

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion rf gain and inherent noise
From: kg6ena@cox.net (steve hammer)
Date: Sat Jun 7 14:22:33 2003
Hello All:

I have noticed that if I turn the RF Gain down to zero, as I am doing
so, I hear a variety of changes in the background noise of the
receiver.  If you are listening to a reasonably strong signal, and turn
the RF gain down, the signal of course drops, however the noise of the
receiver stays fairly constant...even rises a bit.  I would have thought
that the inherent noise of the receiver would be a lot lower.  Anyone
have the same condition?

steve
kg7ena