[TenTec] Orion rf gain and inherent noise

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion rf gain and inherent noise
From: nq5t@attbi.com (Grant Youngman)
Date: Sat Jun 7 15:50:22 2003
> Yes, I see that too.  I have to admit, I'd never turned the RF gain
> all the way down before :-)
>
> 40M and below, the noise level seems to plateau -- drops to a point
> and then doesn't drop any further.  20M and up, especially on 10M, the
> noise level rises dramatically when the gain is turned down.

I was mislead in my initial assessment because I wan't watching to
ensure the selected mode, etc.  was the same in all bands.   There
does seem to be a slight increase in background noise when the RF
gain is turned down, with no antenna connected  -- an all bands
about the same amount more or less.

With mode selected to FM, not only does the noise level jump up,
but so does the S-meter reading.  Interesting -- but it isn't like I'd try
to copy a weak signal with the RF gain turned down ;-)

Grant