[TenTec] RX-340 and the hp GPS Freq Std.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RX-340 and the hp GPS Freq Std.
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen, Esq.)
Date: Thu Jun 12 11:19:08 2003
Well, I just received my HP Z3801A GPS Clock.  I cannot believe that Jim , who
is on the Hawaiian Islands, got his about a week
before me!

Anyway, I made the internal RS-422 to RS-232 changes.  It took about fifteen
minutes to complete.  Since I will be using a USB hub
and USB-to-RS-232 converter, I decided to make the internal change.  I have
been burned too many times with these USB-to-RS-232
converters in the past.  It seems like if it doesn't see the real deal, it
won't work.  Otherwise, I would have used Jim's idea for
making the connection....which otherwise looks great.  I had a difficult time
locating a Torx T10 screw head.  It figures I had
every other size but T10.  Make sure you have a T10 head before disassembling.

Regarding the internal change.  I opted not use headers as Dave, AD6A used in
his on-line article.  I took the cheap and dirty route
by soldering buss-bar wire links into the PC board holes.  If you never
contemplate the need for RS-422, save yourself the trouble
and just add the wire links.  HP made the mod very easy but it does require
board disassembly....although considering that they
spent $4K on these clocks, I am at a loss for why they just didn't add the
jumper-selectable headers anyway?

So, I am ready for prime time, but between work and house guests tonight, the
final connections to the PC will need to wait until
the weekend.

BTW, there's some ultra-high quality build material in these HP units.  I felt
like I was working on a module for NASA!

I have the SatStat software which comes with the unit on a CD-ROM disk.  I am
also assuming that no other changes are required on
the RX-340?  In other words the RX-340 is auto-detecting of the external 10 MHz
time base?

-Paul, W9AC