[TenTec] TCXO Alignment

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TCXO Alignment
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sun Jun 15 17:39:49 2003
Recall last evening after two attempts to adjust my
Orion TCXO oscillator, I wrote:

> Anyway,  both Digipan and MixW are now reading......ta dah:
>
> 999.3 up to 1000.1 and down to 998.9.  The Orion bottom cover
> is ON,  and it is sitting back in the operating position.

Shortly there after,  I powered down the Orion,  and the
961 power supply.

This morning at about 7:30 AM,  I turned both back ON.
I found the frequency,  per the WWVH comparison to be
about  30 Hz low.  After some 30 minutes,  was up to
only 15 Hz low.  After about 3 hours,  the oscillator match to
the WWVH signal was within 1  Hz of where it was last evening
when the rig had been powered up for around 7 hours.  And now,
after another hour,  the reading is within 0.5 Hz or so.
Reading at present using MixW is 999.3Hz,  or less than
1 Hz from WWVH at 10 MHz.

Does anyone know if the TCXO is still "powered",  even if
the Orion main power switch is OFF,  if the main power
is still on to the Orion input power socket?  This was the
case with my Omni VI+,  the TCXO was always ON.  If
so,  and if you cared about the sort of warm up drift I
am seeing,  then leave the power supply ON,  but shut
down the main Orion switch as the TCXO would then
remain "warm".

73,  Jim  KH7M