[TenTec] Limited space antenna

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Limited space antenna
From: wb2vuf@qsl.net (Bwana Bob)
Date: Fri Jul 11 11:43:41 2003
Vin,

For working 75 m within a 500 mile radius, you definitely need a
horizontal antenna to take advantage of NVIS (near vertical incidence
skywave) propagation. A horizontal hamstick dipole will work, but will
have narrow bandwidth and relatively low efficiency, but for what you
want to do it will be better than a vertical for 75 m. If you have more
space, try an inverted L. Cut 67 feet (approx.) of wire. Feed it at
ground level with whatever radials or counterpoise you can muster (I use
only 1 radial wire, but I connected ground to the cold water pipes via
an  outside garden hose spigot at the feed point. Run the wire up the
side of the building, spaced out 1-2 feet, then run it horizontally out
to a tree or other support. If you don't have enough linear space, bend
the wire down or sideways at the far end. Height is not critical. Mine
is only 15 feet high (even lower when I use a 67 foot wire for portable
operation.

                        73,

                        Bob WB2VUF

To: <tentec@contesting.com>