[TenTec] Argo V Distortion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argo V Distortion
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Sun Aug 10 23:03:18 2003
Don't be mislead by the term "ground".  First, I'd say define ground.  RF
ground especially.  A wire running from the rig to a driven ground, water
pipe and etc. has length.  Any conductor which has length it therefore a
portion of a RF wavelength and is thus never RF ground.  It is always some
value above RF ground.  It is, in this case, always DC ground however.

The best example is a VHF 2 M amplifier built on a chassis and 19" panel.
One end of the panel is considered ground while the other end of the panel
is 1/4 wave above ground.  So just where is RF ground in this example?

Now back to the original topic.  Could the processor be overdriven by the
mike or internal mike preamp which is pre-processor gain.  The mike gain is
actually after the processor output.  Thus too much processing which will
generate distortion regardless of where the mike level is positioned.

Just a few thoughts.

73
Bob, K4TAX