Re: [TenTec] Orion SSB Challenge: why no Orions heard?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion SSB Challenge: why no Orions heard?
From: "K Van Horn" <W7SV@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:30:22 -0500
Hi Rob,

To answer your question, because it hears so much better than the rig it
replaced (an ICOM IC-756PRO II). In talking with W6OBB and the group on
3840, I sat the rigs side by side, and did a comparison for a week. With the
PRO II, I could talk with ART and one or two other stations in the group.
When the ORION was being used, I could talk to ART and 5 or 6 other stations
in the group. There was nothing wrong with the PRO II, it is an excellent
radio, the ORION simply hears much better. If you can't hear them you can't
work them. The ORION's 6khz front end roofing filter made all the
differennce in the world in that it kept all of the man-made noise that
exists at my QTH out of the later stage digital signal processing . The 20
khz wide roofing filter allowed all of the crap into the DSP of the PRO II
which then became a very noisy radio that masked the weak signals from the
west coast. At the end of the 7 day test period, I sold my IC-756 PRO II and
kept the ORION. The noise reduction software and hardware noise blanker in
the ORION also works much better than the the corresponding features in the
PRO II (i.e. the noise blanker in absolutely ineffective in the PRO II and
yes, I checked it and it was working).  No doubt in my mind whatsoever that
I did the right thing for Ragchewing and Contesting!!

73 es gud DX and Ragchewing,

Kirby,  W7SV

Houston, TX