Re: [TenTec] Orion SSB Challenge: why no Orions heard?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion SSB Challenge: why no Orions heard?
From: "George, W5YR" <w5yr@att.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:22:45 -0500
From: "Bill NY9H" <ny9h@arrl.net>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 1:50 PM

> i think it all goes back to the concept :
>
> If I were to have bought the WRONG RIG....  I WOULD BE STUPID !!!!
> otherwise I would have bought the right rig. ...
>
> Or as we used to say in the hifi biz :
>
> I would admit to a more manly failure ; than to admit I could have chosen
> the wrong radio.   ( you could enter the word "Car"  for  "radio" or
"rig".

> Do you think I am stupid ???

Not at all, Bill, although I don't know what rig you bought.

I think that the major reason people end up with the "wrong" rig on their
desk is simply that they lack correct and appropriate information upon which
to base a buying decision.

Rigs that advertise certain specs and performance capabilities and then
don't deliver create a situation wherein the new buyer expects what was
advertised and finds something else. It is made worse for him when he is
reminded that the problems are all his in that he is not operating the rig
properly.

> regarding hearing so few orions., there are thousands of hams...
> and not yet thousands of Orions...

Another view is that there are tens of thousands of Icoms, Kenwoods and
Yaesus and probably only a very few hundred ORIONs at best still in the
hands of the original purchasers. I have yet to hear one also . .
.especially in the very demanding QRP DX and contesting events where the
ORION should shine (no pun intended!).

> let's get back to the phase of the reflectivity of my Omni 6+  faceplate.
> ( but on THIS reflector)
>
> enjoy

Always do!

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"Starting the 58th year and it just keeps getting better!"
w5yr@att.net