Re: [TenTec] Re: Rudimentary SWR question...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Rudimentary SWR question...
From: "Billy Cox" <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:44:15 -0500
>Oh yes if the directors or reflectors are too far off resonance they don't
>accomplish anything.  Just like the elements on a multiband yagi.  A 15
>meter director can't act as a 10 meter reflector because it is so far off
>resonance that very little current is induced in it.

Not so fast ... where we all get into trouble at times is by making
such sweeping type of blanket statements ... a 15m director even
if it's on a yagi stacked 10' above say a 10m yagi, MAY skew things.

Study the Hy-Gain TH6/7 design ... compare that with say one of the
Force 12 'tribander' designs ... there are measureable reasons for the
why and how the reflectors/directors are placed differently than in the
old Hy-Gain design <which is not a bad design>, as today we have a
better understanding of how the interactions can destroy the gain
and pattern ... so designs like the C31XR really work very well on all
the bands without some of the interactions of past designs.

Antennas ... still the last frontier for experimenting ...

73 Billy AA4NU