Re: [TenTec] Re: Rudimentary SWR question...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Rudimentary SWR question...
From: "Billy Cox" <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:49:21 -0500
>It turns out that any wire antenna that is at least 0.3 wavelengths long on
>a given band will radiate a signal whose strength is almost immeasurably
>different from that of a half-wave dipole.

Whoa ... I'd suggest some time with one of the various antenna
textbooks, ARRL or otherwise, and try to unpack that statement,
as there's just too many possible ways for that to NOT be true
as stated above. Things like "At WHAT wave angle?" would be
the first qualifying question. 50 miles away or 5000?

Christmas is coming, if you don't have one on your shelf now, for
any person who really desires to KNOW how that wire hanging in
that tree really works ... invest in one of the antenna textbooks and
during the next solar flare, spend some interesting time learning
what REALLY happens. As some of the other posts have indicated,
there's MUCH more than what seems to meet the eye going on.

73 Billy AA4NU