Re: [TenTec] Orion and MIKEs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and MIKEs
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:07:40 -0600

> If you run a new ground wire (I used insulated stranded 18 Ga.) from
> mic pin #2 (ground) to the same board that mic connector goes to and
> then to the rear lug on the rig, this will eliminate the 6 ohms in the
> audio chain. But not in the IF and RF chain. separate lines will have
> to be installed to remedy that issue.

One last comment on this bothersome subject ... no flame intended.

The other thing you will accomplish by fiddling with this is to create
unwanted ground loops that may cause all manner of problems.  The 6
ohms is not an issue.   Adding is a few extra ground wires may seem
harmless, but destroying  the signal and power ground engineering that's
in a complex mixed mode analog and digital device is simply not
advisable.

This begs for enough trouble as far as the audio path is concerned.  In
the RF/IF/digital sections of the radio an extra ground path or two could
wreak real havoc.

I'll go back to my original statement which is that if RF feedback is a
problem then the way to rectify it is to clean up the RF environment in the
radio room.

Grant/NQ5T