Re: [TenTec] T T rigs on DX peditions

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] T T rigs on DX peditions
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:36:22 +0000
Paul DeWitte K9OT wrote:

> I know of two times that T T rigs were on dxpeditions.
> One was about 1980 or early 80s when George AD0S went to Palmyra and Kingman
> reef and took an Omni D (dont know which series) and a Herc 444 amp. He told
> me he was VERY happy with it.
> Also John NZ9Z took his Delta II along to T88 acouple years ago. I think
> that he told me they used it on the low bands, and had no complaints from
> the operators.
> I also think that there is a regular on this reflector Joe AA4NN or
> something like that that has taken his Omni VI or Corsair II which ever he
> has on at least one DX pedition (hope I have the right guy).
>
> I am sure that there are others but you just dont hear about them. I dont
> think that T T sponsers DX Peditions so no big advertizing hype from them.
> They just work and work and work every day and that is much better than some
> big advertizing spiel. All Just my personal opinion.
> 73 Paul K9OT

Except for my 1st two year assignment in Finland along with the several
trips to the Aland Islands and a week-long trip to Market Reef ('86)
when I was still using a Drake TR-7, Ten-Tec was my gear of choice for
the next thirteen years on the road from a number of places.

Paragon:

J52US Guinea-Bissau, '88-'89
9L1US Sierra Leone, '90-'91
half of A22MN Botswana, '92-1st half of '93

Omni VI

the other half of A22MN Botswana, 2nd half '93-'95
OH2/K8MN Finland, '95-'95
OH0/K8MN Aland Islands, '95-'98
5H3US Tanzania, '98-'00

The TT stuff was responsible for several hundreds of thousands of QSOs.
I'd never claim that I had no problems.  Living in countries where there
is high humidity, where voltages can soar from a nominal 240 to over 300
volts and where lightning is very frequent can create some difficulties.
If I couldn't effect field repairs, the TT service team was quick to
mail replacement circuit boards to help me stay on the air.  Great gear
coupled and great service are the reasons that my latest rig is an
Orion.

Dave Heil K8MN