Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion Beta Testing

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion Beta Testing
From: "jack" <jfriend31@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:08:14 -0700
Amen! jack ak7o

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Martin" <royalct@inr.net>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 11:03 AM
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Orion Beta Testing

> Gee Joel,
>
> Since you don't have an Orion, I don't know how you could make the below
> statements.  I received mine in September of this year and have loaded the
> subsequent software uploads.  Being a former engineering division chief
> (software design) this upgrades are nothing more than tweaks.  Heck, the
> last upgrade that added new functionality (adjust the DSP filter skirts)
> would have required you to buy an new radio if it was an Icom (756, 756
PRO
> or Pro II).
>
> Any one that believes flawless operation out of the box, car showroom,
> airplane factory, etc.... well................enough said.
>
> TT has their act together with the Orion, in fact better than the asian
> crowd....
>
> Ron .... NU1U
>
> Joel Mele writes:
>
> > I have owned an Omni VI plus for about four years.   It is the best rig
I've owned (after installing INRAD 2.8 kc filters and audio mod) since 1964.

> > I intend to purchase an Orion when TT gets their act together with
respect to the firmware.

> > IT is obvious that TT is providing software and then letting the
customers discover the "pitfalls" and "problems."   When a manufacturer
sells a $3000 plus radio, it is reasonable to expect flawless operation
"right out of the box."

> > AM I BEING UNREASONABLE WITH THIS ASSUMPTION ?
> >
> > It is in our collective best interest to have Ten-Tec, an American
company, succeed.   However, the boys at TT should "clean up their act" and
the software as soon as possible.

> > I wonder if TT approaches their military/government business in the same
manner as their Amateur Radio business ?