[TenTec] RE: Power Supply & Equip. grounding

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Power Supply & Equip. grounding
From: "Joel Mele" <jmele@always-online.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:19:10 -0500
Hi Folks:

The concept of ground loops with respect to grounding via the electrical
service ground and station ground are usually correct.   HOWEVER, if the
station ground is connected to the house/station electrical service at the
breaker panel, there will be no potential difference between grounds and
therefore no ground loop.

This configuration will provide a good RF and safety ground along with
lightning protection.

NOTE:  A single ground rod connected by a piece of #12 wire DOES NOT CONSTITUTE
A GOOD GROUND SYSTEM

The ARRL does not adequately address station grounding and lightning protection.

I own and operate commercial communication towers.   They are struck by
lightning regularly and the communication systems located on the towers
continue to operate.

I will be happy to answer any grounding questions the group may have.

TNX
Joel W4SLH