Re: [TenTec] Re: K2 beats Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: K2 beats Orion
From: Cliff <csegar@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:14:06 -0500
At 10:47 AM 12/13/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>- Is the same serial number equipment used?
The lab in Newington doesn't have multiples of the test equipment therefore
the same gear has been used for many years. (Did you see the note on the
bottom of page 15?)

>- How many times has the equipment been calibrated to a NIST reference?
I'm not sure of this however I am quite certain they keep the gear tuned up
to spec.

>- Was the same operator conducting the tests?
Not sure of this one. Few, if any, of the tests are subjective.

>- And were those tests repeatable?
I feel the tests are VERY repeatable. That is one reason why they publish
the procedure for us to see. The tests are subject to some errors (like any
tests!!!) and the interpretation of the test can really get subjective. Is
it the best test? maybe not but it is still a good test for comparison
purposes.

For further reading look back thru the archives for a long - and very
informative - discussion on the test procedures. One that popped up was:

From: "Jim Reid" <jimr.reid@verizon.net>
To: "George, W5YR" <w5yr@att.net>, <kf6dx@arrl.org>, <w1rfi@arrl.org>,
<tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:09:08 -1000
Subject: [TenTec] ARRL Rcvr 3rd and 2nd IPs Test Methods

Also, I am forwarding you (privatly) one of the posts here by Ed Hare
regarding the procedure. It also indicates that the lab does indead
maintain calibration of their equipment.

de KD4GT