Re: [TenTec] Orions & contesting

To: DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL <kr2q@optonline.net>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orions & contesting
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:18:04 +0000
I can well understand surprise and even shock at some of the comments on the
list.

Besides the fact that many on the list have their needs and preferences, and
are quite vocal about asserting them, the simple fact is that EVERY radio
without exception is designed by human beings with their own list of needs and
preferences. That list is pretty much built into the product and often cannot
be easily changed, if it can be changed at all. And that list very often
conflicts with some of the paying customers tastes or requirements.

For example, some on the list are quite vocal about "CW PTT." The last few
contests here have been worked by guest operators under their own call, (who
did quite well considering the very limited antennas at this QTH) but I have
not had a request for it. My setup matches the Orion perfectly, but others are
not so fortunate. But that's only one proposed change of many that have come
up.

To complicate the problem, every radio is necessarily a box of compromises. Put
too much in the box and you price it out of the market. Put too little in the
box and it disappoints the market. Either way, sales suffer, and sales drive
future product development.

We are fortunate the Orion was designed to very high performance standards to
start with. We are doubly fortunate the Orion has so many things that are not
cast in stone, that can be changed to suit the buyers. And we are indeed
fortunant that Ten Tec is both able and willing to incorporate as many of the
paying customers suggestions as possible.

The saying that "all things come to he who waits" may not be strictly true with
the Orion because some things are surely hardwired into the rig. But many
things will come - but not as quickly as many would like.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E