RE: [TenTec] K2/100, Orion review

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] K2/100, Orion review
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 19:16:39 +0100
Yuri,

You were absolutely "spot on" with your analogy.  Thanks.
No offense meant to those who don't agree.

The biggest problem is, most of these guys have never operated
from bunga bunga.
They never planned such an event and don't know the joy and/or
pain one can get from them.
They have no idea that behind these operations are at least a
year's planning and often expenses that are 6 digits (US$).
Equipment failure on expeditions is a huge disappointment.
I think many don't realize that in such a contest, the computer
never stops keying the rig at a relatively high cw speed for 48
hours.
Operators are swapped "on-the-fly", but the rig never stops
transmitting.
QSK is one of the biggest causes of linear amp failure.
Even without QSK, improper time-sequence keying of the PTT is a
big cause of amp failure.

I think the fundamental problem is that a casual operator has no
idea of the stress going on in one of these major contests
stations and therefore they don't understand our strive for
perfection.

It's like this:  How many Americans understand the problem a
Porsche has when being driven at 175 mph for several hours?  Many
American drivers love their Porsche's but they've never
experienced this problem.  Ask almost any German Porsche driver
and (s)he can tell you the problem.
(we have no speed limits on our Autobahn here).

Imagine what a German Porsche driver would think if an American
(living in the states) would try to discuss this problem.

Well that's about the same as the non-contester trying to discuss
the problems of the contesters.

Ten-Tec (the company) is indeed interested in contesters'
feedback.

Those who are throwing mud at the contesters who critique the
Orion are HURTING Ten-Tec, not helping!
I'm sure it's not intentional but it is certainly
counterproductive.

73
Rick