[TenTec] Re-stringing the 243 remote VFO without a manual

To: "TenTec@contesting.com" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re-stringing the 243 remote VFO without a manual
From: Dave Perrin <dbp@tds.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 18:47:38 -0500
Hi-
This solved my problem of figuring out a workable re-stringing method for the 243 VFO- if you need to.

1. the string is 22-1/4 inches knot to knot, so maybe add an inch to make the knots.
2. the elsatic is 16 inches. Attach the string to the end of the elastic.
3. Consider that there are four corner brass inserts for mounting the front panel. There are six small pulleys- one, two and three numbered down the left side; and four, five and six numbered down the right side.
4. Rotate the tuning knob fully counter clockwise.
4. Tie a tight knot in the string at the pin on the tuning shaft.
5. My pin was at the 7 O'clock position. I wound once around the shaft counter clockwise then headed under the tension adjuster pin down and to the right from the tuning shaft.
6. Up and the corner around pulley number six, then up and a corner around pulley four, across the top and a corner down around pulley number one, then down and a right corner around pulley two and towards the right and pulley number five.
7. The string should end and become the elastic/string joint before reaching pulley five. The elastic then goes down and around pulley number five and back to the left.
8. A quarter turn down at pulley number three, and straight down and around the bottom left brass insert then up towards the tuning shaft to the end connector at the screw just to the left of the tuning shaft.

9. Once the string is about right then you have to deterimne where you need to attach the pointer so that it will sit correctly behind the dial. (That took a few try's).
10. The elastic is adjusted for length so that there is just enough tension for the string to be snug when the elastic is fully retracted as the pointer is on the left at "0".

Worked for me. At step number 8 you might be able to go to the end connector as an option.
73 de Dave in NH K1OPQ