Re: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 02:23:23 +0000
Paul

I believe the key factor is this: When you send a CW exchange the tranceiver doesn't know when the exchange has ended. If you are using the Orion with a non QSK system or you do not wish to use QSK, then you have to introduce a delay period within the Orion to avoid hot switching etc.

This is not necessary with non Ten Tec rigs, as with direct access to the rigs PTT line this delay can be completely avoided. Why? Because unlike the rig, the computer knows exactly when the last character element of the exchange has been sent and can relinquish PTT at that moment. No delay.

I am currently unaware of any other manufacturer's radios which don't provide an external PTT line that can be used this way, which I imagine is why some folks thinks its abscence on the Orion is short sighted.

Bob, 5B4AGN

Paul Christensen, Esq. wrote:

Jack, we are talking about 5-cent effort on part of TenTec,
vs. $multiK-effort on part of many customers.

Inasmuch as this probably does not need repeating, perhaps a re-calibration of the discussion is in order. I can't believe I'm the only one who sees this discussion going in circles without reaching a logical end. The topic seemingly began with shortened Orion CW element spacing and has mutated into CW PTT and now semi-break-in.

1) Specifically, what is the root problem that needs correction?
2) What 5-cent change are you referring to?
3) What is the outcome of the 5-cent change?
4) What is it in your proposal that cannot be remedied either with Orion's
semi-break-in, QSK, or TX OUT/TX EN amplifier enabling system?

If amplifier relay burn-out is the primary concern under contest conditions,
simply select semi-break-in and adjust the amp hang time to release at the
end of words and not keyed elements....or even slightly longer if necessary.
What is the advantage of manually controlling the amp's PTT line in a
contest?  If it that much of a concern, parallel the amp key line with a
hand or foot-activated switch.  On non-TT radios (you know, the ones with
the "5-cent effort"), please explain how you manipulate the PTT amplifier
line in a contest.

And most importantly, please convince us that this not much ado about
nothing.

-Paul, W9AC