Re: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?
From: "Paul Christensen, Esq." <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:55:25 -0500
> Jack, we are talking about 5-cent effort on part of TenTec,
> vs. $multiK-effort on part of many customers.

Inasmuch as this probably does not need repeating, perhaps a re-calibration
of the discussion is in order.   I can't believe I'm the only one who sees
this discussion going in circles without reaching a logical end.  The topic
seemingly began with shortened Orion CW element spacing and has mutated into
CW PTT and now semi-break-in.

1) Specifically, what is the root problem that needs correction?
2) What 5-cent change are you referring to?
3) What is the outcome of the 5-cent change?
4) What is it in your proposal that cannot be remedied either with Orion's
semi-break-in, QSK, or TX OUT/TX EN amplifier enabling system?

If amplifier relay burn-out is the primary concern under contest conditions,
simply select semi-break-in and adjust the amp hang time to release at the
end of words and not keyed elements....or even slightly longer if necessary.
What is the advantage of manually controlling the amp's PTT line in a
contest?  If it that much of a concern, parallel the amp key line with a
hand or foot-activated switch.  On non-TT radios (you know, the ones with
the "5-cent effort"), please explain how you manipulate the PTT amplifier
line in a contest.

And most importantly, please convince us that this not much ado about
nothing.

-Paul, W9AC