[TenTec] Re: TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?
From: "Marijan Miletic, S56A" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:19:13 -0000
The Orion "Amp Key" line will go to ground about 20 milliseconds before the
Orion actually transmits a signal.  It will then stay ground for up to a one
second delay after transmit finishes.  This delay is adjustable from 0 to 1
second.   It seems to me that this line provides all the timing that is
necessary to key external equipment and protect it from a transmit signal.
Am I missing something?

20 msec might be short for big antenna relays in linear amps causing RF
arcing.
Delay time should be around 10 dot lengths which vary with keying speed.
That is the reason I rarely use BK in CW with hand transmission.
QSK in linear amps is usually done with fast PIN diodes.
Just repairing Alpha 86 with blown PIN diodes AGAIN.

I don't think TT intentionally made CW PTT mistake.  This happens in a big
projects...
I remember mighty DL Siemens overlooking HF QRN in multimillion $$$ DSP
design :-)

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU