Re: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ?
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:11:10 EST
In a message dated 12/27/03 9:18:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, w9ac@arrl.net
writes:
>>  Does the contest
card supply two independent outputs?  One for PTT and the other to the radio
key line? <<

You are getting there. It is not card, but computer ports wired to control
radios, besides other things, we use separate PTT and Keying lines and for two
radio cantrol, make that times two. There are reasons and benefits to have
separate control of PTT and KEYING lines. Again, we control through it not only
amplifiers but also other gizmos like antenna switches in the two radio setup
controlled by one computer. Timing is of essence.

To put it in simple terms, we are not looking and asking for workarounds to
adjust our dumb systems to smart PTTless Orion. We are asking, TT please leave
the PTT line on mike connector to act as PTT line on CW, just like rest of
radios have. This is many contester's preference and we have good reasons for
it.
Why cripple otherwise good radio.
Just like radio should be designed to use 8 ohm headphones and have
compatible microphone connectors just like rest of them.

Yuri, K3BU