Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion PTT/QSK

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion PTT/QSK
From: "K Van Horn" <W7SV@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:31:32 -0600
Hi John,

Happy NewYear!!

I have noticed this also. Many of the JA rigs have an internal menu item to
allow the user to select how the various modes handle the particular offset
(with regard to the displayed frequency-in numbers and/or on their band
scopes). Should not be too hard to implement a new menu item switch in
firmware to give each user a choice. Perhaps Gary will add this to his short
list of goodies for us along with the ability to have the sweep display
"wake up," when the Orion is turned on, in the same position as when the
radio was turned off. (He has told me that the sweep thing is somewhere on
the list). I am continually impressed that Scott and Gary and the whole Ten
Tec staff to listen to us users and actually USE the suggestions to improve
an already GREAT radio! I got to experience first hand the 756, 756Pro, and
then finally the 756 Pro 2 debacle. It cost so much to trade up 2 times that
I could have purchased a second Orion with the total amount that was spent
(and would have been able to have 2 Orions instead of just one!) As you
might guess, I am the a great fan of theTen Tec free firmware update program
over the internet. I am certain it is the reason that the JA manufacturers
are doing the same thing in their new radios(TS-2000,IC-7800, TS480?)! So we
have ALL benefited from Ten Tecs forward thinking, no matter what specific
brand of radio we chose to use!

I am just amazed at how well Orion hears!! The hardware NB is the best I've
ever heard(and I've used them all)! I wish that there were a way to adjust
how agressive it is, but I suspect that would be difficult to do in
firmware. Even without being adjustable it is far superior to all the JA
Noise Blankers!

73 es gud DX,

Kirby, W7SV