Re: [TenTec] Another reason for PTT CW

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Another reason for PTT CW
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:45:52 -0600
> Scott Robbins has indicated to me offline that there would be a
> hardware change required.  I personally don't see why

One could reasonably assume that the design engineers at T-T
understand the way the radio is engineered, had good reasons to do
it the way they did,  and know what it would take to make the
change.

> All these delay settings, mashing buttons to mute the clicks and
> clacks of the QSK, dropping back the RF gain, diddling the AGC
values
> - why all the complication?

Based on all of the last few weeks discussion on this point and the
very definitive post from Scott on the subject, perhaps the simple
solution is to simply purchase another radio to which you can attach
a footswitch or hold a mic and squeeze PTT with the other hand and
transmit CW in peace and quiet if that is the desire.  It would be
difficult to argue with that approach.

In the meantime, if T-T can find a way to do non-QSK CW and mute
the receiver for the duration with no recovery delay when you decide
it's time for the other gjuy to get a word in, I suspect they will, given
the interminable discussion on the point.

If not, then there is always the other solution ...

As a QSK convert (long before acquiring any T-T radio), it's hard to
look back into darkness :-)

Grant/NQ5T