Re: [TenTec] Another reason for PTT CW

To: <Rick@dj0ip.de>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Another reason for PTT CW
From: "Bill Coleman" <n2bc@stny.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:11:55 -0500
Rick,  I have the same operating approach as you... but I spend many more
hours in casual use where QSK will be at least unnecesary, at most a pain.

On a typical JA rig, just mashing the Send/Receive button works fine... Or,
holding down the mic PTT button.

I would prefer the Orion PTT line simply handle transmit / receive
consistenly regardless of mode.  Then I can just hold down the mic PTT
button on one of my long winded CW transmissions.   For contesting, the PC
could simply toggle the PTT line when it wants to send something (no added
delays necessary when finished). If I want QSK, it's still there, just start
keying.

Scott Robbins has indicated to me offline that there would be a hardware
change required.  I personally don't see why as the PTT lines from the mic
connector and from the AUX connector just go thru a simple conditioning
circuit then straight to one of the CPU I/O ports. Seems that the logic is
all 'soft'.  In fact the Mic and AUX connector lines are separate... just
have the Mic line be consistent between modes & I'll wire it up to the spare
connector on the back.

I just don't see what would be lost in changing the behavior of the PTT line
in CW....  OK, I can't send CW with my footswitch, I can live with that.

All these delay settings, mashing buttons to mute the clicks and clacks of
the QSK, dropping back the RF gain, diddling the AGC values - why all the
complication? Just let me control transmit and receive.  I still have the
knife switch I used in the 60s. Besides, if my buddy wants to interrupt my
transmission, he can call me on the phone!

73, Bill   (Orion on order, but having second thoughts)