Re: [TenTec] Herc II troubles

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <k7gt@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Herc II troubles
From: "Michael Melland, W9WIS" <w9wis@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:57:56 -0800
Perhaps a stuck closed vac relay ?  The vaccuum relays have been known to
fail..... They are getting hard to find and if I remember right Ten-Tec was
selling what replacements they had for $250 or so (plus installation and
shipping if you have them do it).  I have heard of being able to reverse
polarity of the relay to perhaps get a temporary fix ???  Someone with more
knowledge then me will no doubt fill in the gaps here....

It is possible to buy a new Kilovac HC-1 replacement relay unused via the
surplus route for about $25 from Scott at American Milspec
http://www.american-milspec.com/p851.html .  I'm not aware of any circuit
changes but some may be needed as I don't "think" it's a drop in
replacement.  I "think" the originals are Jennings RJ1-A or maybe it's the
other way round.... I can'r remember just what is in there.

Mike, W9WIS